Thinking of going through braces treatment to get your teeth aligned? It’s a significant step towards your beautiful smile. Probably you must be anxious and wondering if braces treatment will cause pain. Relax and let go of all your worries as braces treatment is not painful per se, except for some discomfort for a few days. But imagine the miraculous change and beauty the braces treatment will provide you after completion! Won’t that be wonderful?
Let us know in detail about does it pain while putting braces and what to expect’?
1. Does it pain while putting braces, and what must you expect?
The simple answer is that it does not pain while putting on the braces. But, after they are fitted and tightened, they may cause some pain and discomfort, usually from the next day. This can be easily managed with medications and fades away within a week, and slowly you will get used to the different feeling inside your mouth. You may expect:
- Soreness of your teeth, gums, cheeks, and tongue: Caused by the wires, brackets, bands, and springs putting pressure on your teeth and bone to align them in the correct position. This will gradually lessen in about a week to 10 days.
- Discomfort: You will constantly feel something inside your mouth which may be uncomfortable. But after a few days, you will be used to this change.
- Pressure while chewing: Chewing may be difficult for the first few days, but slowly you will adapt to it.
- Mild headaches: Due to the constant pressure on teeth and jaw bone, sometimes you may have headaches too. But this is temporary and can be easily taken care of by pain relievers.
Slowly, in about a month, you will be fully comfortable with this change, and soreness and discomfort will go off to the extent that you will not even remember that you have got braces.
2. Will braces cause pain when they are tightened?
During follow-up visits to your orthodontist, they will evaluate the amount of movement of your teeth and accordingly tighten them for further positioning. You may expect the above symptoms for a few days, but definitely, the soreness and discomfort will be much lesser than when you initially received your braces.
3. What can you do to minimize the pain and discomfort while putting on the braces?
A few tips for reducing the discomfort during your braces treatment include:
- The use of orthodontic wax will give a protective barrier and reduce soreness.
- Eat soft and cold foods like yogurt, mashed potatoes, rice-daal, porridge, etc., which will ease chewing, and cold foods will provide a soothing effect on the gums and cheeks.
- Avoid foods that are hard, sticky, and sugary. Also, avoid too hot foods and drinks.
- A regular visit to your orthodontist: They will check and fix any wire or bracket which may be out of place and causing soreness and discomfort.
Orion Dental clinic is the best dental center for braces treatment. The clinic is housed by highly experienced and skilled doctors and staff that assures amazing results with minimum discomfort. The clinic is equipped with the latest modern technology, further facilitating better and quicker outcomes. Get your blissful smile back with Orion Dental clinic without any burden to your pocket.